Monday, January 26, 2009

Install time!

This weekend I blocked off some time for my major suspension overhaul. I had a set of Bilstein HDs, a sway bar from a convertible e30, an e36 steering rack, and a set of brand new control arms I found at the junkyard!In this shot you can see that i've removed the entire front sub-frame including the control arms and steering rack. A shot of my work space. This is a power steering delete I designed, and my father made for me. You remove the stock hoses, and bolt this in place with the stock banjo bolts and copper washers. It allows the fluid to travel from one chamber to the other without any pressure buildup. In this shot i've assembled the subframe with the new-used control-arms and swaybar. once i Had that installed, I moved on to the suspension. I bought some universal ebay coilover sleeves meant to fit a honda civic. In order for them to fit the bilsteins correctly I had to enlarge the center hole and carve in a concave shape. I also cut the stock spring perches off of the strut housing. I had to cut the aluminum sleeves by about 1.5 inches in order for them to clear the threaded shock cap. THis is what i thought was an assembles shock until I realized i was missing the upper spring perch. If i had kept it like this, the car would have a very difficult time turning because the upper spring support would be rubbing the shock tower mount. Here is a pic of them correctly assembled. And installed! FOr the time bieng i installed the rear shocks wit the stock springs. Here are a couple pics of how the car currently sits. The front coilovers are set on their lowest setting. I have a nother set of 550lb springs that are 1" shorter than these. I'll install them as soon as i get motivated to take everythig apart again!

No comments: